Founded in 1929 by Joseph Brooks Whitten for his four sons, Whitten Brothers Hardware was primarily managed by J.B. and A.D. Whitten. Whitten Bros. was outside the city limits at that time and not only sold hardware items but also furniture and major appliances. In the 1960’s, Whitten Bros. was one of the top 100 Philco dealers in the country. In the early 1970’s Whitten Bros. affiliated with Ace Hardware which became their primary supplier. In 1977, A.D. Whitten’s son, Ben, joined the business and continued the tradition of serving the community through good customer service and quality merchandise.